The haunch can be further broken down into smaller cuts.
Aitch bone removal
- Carefully remove the aitch bone without any incisions into the underlying muscles of the haunch.
- Open the stifle joint between the shin and the main part of the haunch
- Remove the shin by first cutting the Achilles tendon and then following the seam leading to the opened stifle joint. After removal the shin is deboned.
Haunch muscle separation
- Divide the haunch firstly by the seam indicated on top of the Thick Flank muscle.
- Use a boning knife to detach the muscles attached to the femur. When the bone is fully exposed the whole of the bone can be viewed from end to end.
- Remove the femur bone carefully by detaching the muscle with the boning knife and then using the fingers to clean the meat from the bone, remove the bone clean from the haunch. Remove the patella or knee cap to produce a boneless haunch.
- Remove the thick flank muscle by following the silver wall gristle shown.
- After removing the rump, split the Topside and Silverside by the seam shown